Wrought Iron Gate at St.Bartholomew’s Church
Read the article in the Uckfield News about this restoration project.
The wrought iron gate opposite the church car park has been in place for more than 60 years, but had got into a sorry state. The MCG decided to do something about this and arranged and paid for the renovation of the gate. The refurbished gate was reinstated on 15 September 2020 (see pictures below).
The gate is of historical interest to the village. It was originally presented to St.Bartholomew’s Church in 1947 by a unit from the 163 Infantry O.C.T.U. (Artists Rifles) who were stationed in Maresfield from 1945 – 47 and again in 1964 – 65.