top of page
Maresfield Chequers.jpg

Maresfield

The village of Maresfield lies on the southern fringe of Ashdown Forest, formerly a deer hunting reserve at the time of King Edward II.

 

Maresfield Parish includes the village of Nutley and the southern part of Ashdown Forest. Rock Wood, a Site of Special Scientific Interest, falls within the Parish. This ancient wood has several features of biological interest including mosses and liverwort.

 

Shortbridge Stream, a tributary of the Ouse, rises on the Forest and flows through Underhill valley, close to the centre of Maresfield. It was dammed in the 16th century to provide power for the iron furnaces around Maresfield, but now the stream supports a diversity of freshwater invertebrates.

 

The Wealden iron industry was important to Maresfield, with three foundries in the area. One of the foundries was converted to make gunpowder in the early 1800’s.

 

The Chequers, at the heart of the village opposite the church, was built in 1743 as a coaching inn on the London to Brighton stagecoach route. St Bartholomew's Church dates from the 12th century.

 

Maresfield Camp has been home to many soldiers down the years. Maresfield is proud to be the first home of the Royal Corps of Signals.

 

Read a series of articles and posts about the history of Maresfield

Links to useful organisations in Maresfield and beyond:

St Bartholomew's Church

Maresfield Parish Council

Wealden District Council

East Sussex County Council

Ashdown Forest

Sussex Wildlife Trust

Ouse and Adur Rivers Trust

Wealdlink

Map of Maresfield Parish

Maresfield Parish Map
bottom of page